Thursday 11 June 2015

A Challenge That Takes The Biscuit!


It is in the genes.
I referenced a few weeks ago a quote from a poem about doing your very best against all the odds and the particular lines from the poem that have most meaning were; “Rise and rise again, until the sheep have become lions”.

We saw again on Sunday from our young group of Waterford hurlers a collective will, drive and determination to well and truly uncork the bottle and we outplayed a more experienced team of hurlers. This true grit and determination is something that we all should and need to aspire to. To be part of a winning team means setting yourself your own challenging goals and this in turn will have a positive effect on those around you whether that be in your home, at work or during you
r leisure time.

Defining you role within an organisation is a challenge to all of us and we all know those individuals that appear to take this in their stride and emerge, on the surface anyway, to be cool as the proverbial cucumber and these people seem to have a great degree of confidence and very, very little self-doubt. We need to surround ourselves with these drivers and achievers in business if said business is to have longevity.

Like our young Waterford hurlers who have no doubt set themselves the tough goal of winning a Munster title, myself and seven other members of The Biscuit Club, a cycling sportif, set ourselves a very challenging goal of completing the Wicklow 200km cycle on Sunday 7th June. Individually, we were all working away on our own fitness and I am sure we were all working out in our own minds just how we were to complete this gargantuan challenge. However we could all take comfort in the knowledge that we would collectively suffer the pain together.

I myself, having literally only picked up racing road bike in August of last year (2014), found the task in hand very daunting and I believed that for me to complete the 200km within my timeframe of under eight hours would be a huge mental challenge for myself. However, my past life and business experiences have taught me that the greater the challenge the greater my focus and this in turn drives me forward at an accelerated pace to relish whatever challenge is put in front of me. I am that dog who will not let the bone go and I know from my rugby playing days that I would always have sought out the biggest maddest player on the opposition team and smash them within the first few minutes of a game, just to lay down a marker. I suppose that in a way my Scottish genes mean that I really do savour a challenge.

Typical MAMIL.
On the Sunday 7th June I was mentally prepared to tackle the very best of the hills and mountains that the Wicklow 200km could throw at me. Even a flat tyre before I set off would not distract my mind from the task in hand. And so eight intrepid Middle Aged Men In Lycra (MAMILs) set off at around 07:00 on Sunday morning to test our fitness, endurance, mental fortitude and no doubt there was just an edge of competitiveness to see just how we would compete against much more seasoned cyclists.

After many, many, many hours literally welded to the saddle we managed to come back, in ones and twos, to the finish line, at Bray Leisure Centre, in around 7 hours and 15 to 25 minutes. Remarkable times from everyone who took part and all the more remarkable as these MAMIL’s all have day jobs and cycling is after all a hobby and a pastime. The Wicklow 200km challenged all of us in a very personal way and to a man everyone stood up to the challenge and although utterly exhausted we managed to still smile at the end of an epic journey.


For me personally to get round the 200km in approximately seven hours and twenty minutes meant that I had over achieved on my goal of competing the 200km in less than eight hours. Having smashed my own personal goal I am already considering setting an under seven hours target for next year! Now there is a challenge!!!!!

Michael, Declan, John, Gary, Stephen & Ray.
Ambitious, absolutely YES. Is this actually achievable for me? Well I will find out in twelve months time and I am sure an increased number of Biscuits from Waterford City will join us in the challenge.

The setting of tough ambitious goals and targets works for me and works for those around me. This in part means that many of the people I surround myself with are by their very nature extremely positive people and certainly will not fear a challenge. Whilst we may all get slightly apprehensive about the challenges we set ourselves, a tough challenge tests our very character and our mental resolve. If you are sound in mind then anything is possible and you will go through life seeking out new opportunities with a degree of excitement that is palpable for all to see.

As a life lesson I see at the moment many teenagers getting overly stressed and worried about leaving certification examinations. These young adults who have done the hard work, put in the study times and covered the course work will do well. They just need to believe that they have prepared enough for the challenges of examinations.  They need to believe that they will do well and it is the responsibility of those positive people around these young adults to install the confidence that is needed to face the challenges of the examination room.

In life we all should be seeking out bigger tougher challenges that will stretch us both physically and mentally. Our mind and body both crave regular exercise and the more we work our bodies constituent parts the better we will be to meet whatever challenge our work life and leisure life throws at us.

Too big a challenge?
Being able to say that you have done your absolute best and could give no more is the most any business can ask of its employees. If that business is lucky enough to have a motivated workforce and the business knows how to challenges it staff members then such a business will have longevity. However, surround yourself with lazy, negative, pessimistic and unmotivated staff members this will ensure that a business has no future.

How we tackle challenges in life and in business define us. So remember that every uphill has a downhill just over the summit and the tougher the uphill the greater the reward coming down the other side.




No comments:

Post a Comment