Wednesday 17 August 2016

Memories - One hell of a ride!

On the 20th and 21st August thousands will take part in the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford.

I have once again signed up to tackle the gruelling Sean Kelly 160km, along with many another Lycra clad pedal pushers – drivers be warned, the roads will literally be thronging with cyclists!

My memory of last year, the first time I tackled this most challenging of cycling events, is still very vivid and fresh, as though it was only yesterday that I completed the course, over some of Sean’s “training routes”. Whilst, I will never be a great cyclist, like Sean, I can at least say I have trained on the roads that made him the great cycling ambassador for Waterford!

Here is my memory of the 2015 Sean Kelly 160km.

I collected my goodie bag, the night before the event. This contained; a snazzy commemorative race jersey, a bottle of water, a couple of flapjacks, wristband and a bike registration number sticker. When I returned to the car I had a feeling that I would need far more than a couple of flapjacks and one bottle of water, to complete the daunting task that I would take on the very next day.

At 07:45 I and ten other Biscuits, set off from Dungarvan on an adventure that would test each and every one of us. Ahead lay 160 kilometres of hills, hills and more hills!!!!!

As we shot up The Pike and veered left at Lemybrien, we cycled for around 10km with the imposing Mahon Falls, shrouded by black low clouds, taunting us, teasing us and ultimately calling us, knowing that we would have to cycle, walk or crawl up this wicked hill at around 120km into the route.

But our first real challenge would be a wee hill called “Tickincor” at around 55km. Now if you have never heard of this hill go out, find it and try to drive up it. You will very quickly see just how steep it is and then image how hard it is to cycle up the damn thing!

Roche & Kelly
The “Powers The Pot” was the next hill at around 90km. Some comedian spray painted “3km to go” after what seemed like an eternity on the hill, just to remind us how hard the bloody climb was. There was a collective intake of breath, the odd swear word, when I and my fellow Biscuits crossed this marker and a realisation we were only halfway up this mammoth test of endurance. Up at the top, the Biscuits regrouped, then a quick food stop at Rathgormack and we headed towards the final challenge of the dreaded, nasty climb up Mahon Falls.

At around 120km the Falls called us like some cruel Siren would have called Greek ships to their doom. Low gear selected, with some “Rusty Spokes” ahead of me to chase up the Falls, I dropped my head down and I was off. Some hellish 20 odd minutes later, it was all over and a quick regroup with my fellow Biscuits and it was “all downhill” to the finish (so they told me).

No it wasn’t! We still had the 7km or 8km drag up the Mama Road.

Mama Road conquered and now it was mostly downhill to the finish line in Dungarvan. We had enough in our legs to manage a wee sprint and top speed of 53kph on the borders of Dungarvan.

One final regroup and these 11 Biscuits crossed the line together in perfect formation. Our wee group had stayed together for 160km of torture, hell, fun, laughs, memories and a sense of accomplishment.

Well done to ALL involved. A great event, great company, great event organisation, a great “Packet of Biscuits” and above all a great occasion for Waterford to be VERY proud of.

It was one hell of a ride! Bring on the 2016 SKT.

The question is, will I be so elated after next Sunday’s cycle. Oh the joys of looking forward to “THAT” pain in my legs once again!

1 comment:

  1. Maria, thanks for the comment. I write about all manner of topics and cycling is a new hobby for me. There is also a blog on the Wicklow 200km, which you might like as well. http://michaelgarlandbizboost.blogspot.ie/2016/06/blood-sweat-and-gears.html Regards.

    ReplyDelete